classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

From-to information in OSM data

prummerfl
Hi all,

I work on a network where I want to make up my own historic traffic data. For this I also want to differentiate between driving direction in terms of speed, meaning that one direction should have a lower/higher average speed than the other one. I'm aware that for this I have to create new attributes, for instance something like "FT_speed" and "TF_speed". Then I would create new attributes where the information of the driving direction is held. And there is my problem: the Help says (e.g. here http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0047000001rs000000) that "0" indicates the starting point of the line feature "as defined by its digitized direction", "1" the ending point.
Well, I'm using OpenStreetMap data so I have no possibility to know the direction in which the feature was digitized, right? Am I missing some detail here? Or is there another way to get the info into the data?

Any help here is very much appreciated!
Best regards
Florian
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: From-to information in OSM data

peterseva
Hi Florian,

oms2nds reads and writes the vertices of OSM line features in the same order as they were digitized in OSM. Have a look at the network dataset attribute "Oneway". This restriction restricts roads based on the direction (From-To and To-From). You can use this network dataset attribute as an example for your case.

Best wishes,
Eva
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: From-to information in OSM data

prummerfl
Hi Eva,

thanks for your response! It totally works now :)

For users who don't have to deal with bigger traffic and road data, the Esri forum provides also a very handy solution for identifying the direction of digitizing:
"Also, within ArcMap, if you use the Network Identify tool on the Network Analyst toolbar and click on a feature, you will see a black arrow pointing in the direction of digitization. "
Maybe this info helps other user as well.

Best regards
Florian